GRANT PARK HISTORIC
The Atlanta Preservation Center selected Red Level Renovations to continue the restoration of the historic Grant Mansion in Grant Park. Constructed in 1856, the mansion is the oldest documented antebellum structure in Atlanta and its history is a rich one. It served as a hospital for the Confederate troops during the Civil War, golfer Bobby Jones was born there in 1902, and writer Margaret Mitchell provided $3,750 for the purchase of the home in 1941.
APC acquired the building in 2001 after it had suffered significant deterioration, and was in danger of being demolished for redevelopment. The organization now has its headquarters there, and has undertaken the process of slowly bringing the building back to life.
Red Level restored the antebellum building's front and rear porches. Parking spaces, walkways and a wheelchair lift create full access for the public, and allows the Center to double the usable square footage of the building.